- Al Shera'a is a 20-storey mixed-use building under development in Al Jaddaf, Dubai.
- The project was launched in Q4 2016.
- The estimated handover date was Q4 2019 which was later revised to 2023.
- The project is being developed by Dubai Electricity and Water Authority.
- The architect of the project is Eng. Adnan Saffarini.
- The piling work is being carried out by Dutco Balfour Beatty LLC.
- The substructure contains one basement level which is dedicated to parking.
- The project is located on plot 3262950.
- From Al Shera'a it takes roughly 14 minutes to drive to Dubai Mall, 25 minutes to Palm Jumeirah, 24 minutes to Burj Al Arab and 29 minutes to The Walk JBR.
- Dubai International Airport (DXB) is roughly eight minutes' drive and the new Al Maktoum International Airport is roughly 47 minutes' drive. All durations are calculated by Google Maps and assume the fastest route in typical traffic conditions.
Al-Sheraa is the new headquarters building for Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA). It is being built on a 200,000 square foot plot in Cultural Village in Al Jadaf.
A contract for the first phase of construction was awarded in July 2017 to Dutco Balfour Beatty. The contract includes shoring, dewatering, excavation, piling, fencing and associated works.
Rising from eight floors on one side to 23 on the other, Al-Sheraa aims to be the tallest, largest, and smartest government net Zero Energy Building (ZEB) in the world. It will have 16,500 square metres of photovoltaic solar panels on the roof to produce over 3,500 kilowatts (kW), as well as an additional 2,000 square metres of building-integrated photovoltaic panels.
It is estimated that the total renewable energy generated from the building will be over 5,800 megawatt hours (MWh) per year, matching or exceeding the total energy used on site during that year.
Al-Sheraa’s design takes its inspiration from traditional UAE houses, where enclosed spaces overlook an open courtyard. The courtyard will be the focal point and most prominent feature of the building.
To reduce heat in the open courtyard, a sail design is used to provide shaded areas. Natural light during the day will stream through specific openings in the sail, giving sufficient light without the associated heat.
The courtyard with its trees and planted areas will give occupants and visitors an outdoor feeling in an indoor setting.
The building will use the latest technologies including the Internet of Things (IoT), Big Data and Open Data, and Artificial Intelligence (AI). Robots will be used for cleaning and to provide security services.
A smart app will alert the employees about the time they should leave their homes based on the traffic. The same app can be used to book parking spaces and meeting rooms. It can be also be used by visitors to easily reach the building and meeting rooms.
DEWA’s new headquarters is on track for a platinum rating by LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design), where platinum is the highest certification. The building is expected to use 50% less water than regular buildings.
It will employ sophisticated building management systems with a control centre that will shut down non-essential systems, including air conditioning and lighting, when they are not needed whilst allowing essential systems to operate.
The building will be directly linked to Al Jadaf metro station by a covered bridge to encourage employees to use public transport.
The building was scheduled to be completed and inaugurated in the last quarter of 2019. This has since been rescheduled for 2023.
The building will accommodate an onsite presence of over 5,000 people.
Al Shera'a Construction Progress
The dates above refer to when we monitored the site and not the exact date that construction reached a particular stage.
Please note that our progress updates are visual estimations only and should not be confused with official progress reports issued by the government regulator.
Al Shera'a in the News
We do our best to keep the data accurate. If you notice any mistakes on the page or have additional information you can notify us here: